Tuesday, July 7, 2009

My Redeemer School in Ghana





I had a chance to visit a 2nd grade class in Ghana at "My Redeemer School" The teacher's name is Miss Rebecca Ocloo. Although this was a last minute visit, the administrator and owner of the school accommodated my wishes to take pictures and videos of the class. I especially loved this class because it reminded me of when i began my first teaching assignment in San Diego at Nubia Leadership Academy (A Christian School at Bayview Baptist). I taught the 2nd grade class. I had the most fun with these little guys! Miss Ocloo let me start off with a read aloud called the Ant and the Bird. After the reading I asked some comprehension questions that led to the students writing the answers in their books. The kids were well behaved and carried on a fine tradition of learning at My Redeemer School. This Wednesday, 7/8/09 I will be joining the school again and visiting the upper grades at the junior high level. This is when i will take the opportunity for these students to communicate via videos and/or writing to our students in the U.S. Since i teach at the High School level now, i am interested in what kinds of questions these students may have for my students. It should be interesting. Making friends through education can create long lasting partnerships that can benefit both groups. Our kids in the US are interested in what happens in Africa and likewise the students in Africa are interested in what happens in classrooms in America. So look for the next post from "My Redeemer School". It should be a cool one. I want to thank Miss Ocloo and the school for their time and support.

No comments:

Post a Comment